It's June now - can you believe it??? We've had a busy summer thus far. Ainsley's last day of preschool was Friday the 22nd. That night, Mom & Dad came up to KC, and early the next morning John, Ainsley, Will, Mom & Dad left in our van for Florida for Daniel & Stephanie's wedding. We had contemplated all flying, but the cost of renting a van & carseats was a bit ridiculous. Our creative solution was to have that group drive down, and then Maggie and I fly down to meet them on Monday. The trip down went great for all involved. Ainsley & Will did remarkably well on the long drive, and Maggie and I survived her first flight.
The wedding was beautiful. It was my first beach wedding - have to say it was even better than I imagined! They had an awesome sunset at the end of the ceremony. I think it was God's way of showing them that he was giving them his blessing. :)
The week before the wedding we found time to do some fun things around Naples. Tuesday we went to the beach, which was a blast for the kids and for us. Ainsley preferred to play in the sand, while Will loved trying to kick the waves and having John & I take him into the water. Maggie actually fell asleep while I was holding her in the ocean.
The next day, Wednesday, we drove south (I think...) of Naples to do some touristy things. Our first stop was at the tiniest post office in the US. We sent my father-in-law a postcard - definitely something he would get a kick out of.
After the post office we drove to something called The Skunk-Ape Research Headquarters. It was quite the interesting place. It had a gift shop in front, where Ainsley picked out an alligator egg and Will picked out a rubber snake (boys!). In the back there was a petting zoo, and I have to say it was the strangest little petting zoo I've ever seen. It was mostly reptiles - giant snakes, lizards, turtles. Outside were a couple gators and a peacock that was kind enough to display his feathers for the kids. Will had fun talking to the chickens. He was telling them that there were more chickens "over there."
From there we went to a rest stop that had a large observation deck. In the waters below were - gulp - real live gators! It was pretty fascinating. Ainsley wasn't really a fan of being that close to them, though. Just before we left there we were subjected to one of Florida's frequent afternoon downpours. My hilarious husband thought it would be fun to lock the door on me after I had thrown the kids and stroller into the van and was trying to get in out of the rain myself. If you happen to see my kids flip someone off, well, it's my fault. But truly it's John's fault - blame him!
Can you see the trio?
Wednesday night were the bachelor/bachelorette parties, which meant that Mom, Dad & Aunt Clara watched the kids while John and I went out, seperately. My evening was cut short, unfortunately, when the hotel fire alarms went off. Ainsley had locked the door to her bedroom before she went to sleep, which I think put Mom in a slight panic. She slept through the whole thing (it was a false alarm, of course) but Will & Maggie were upset and I went back to get everyone back to bed. It turned out fine - 10:30 is about the latest this old lady can stay out any more, anyway. ;)

1 comment:
i didn't realise he locked you out of the car!! thats horrible! haha...but a little funny too.
Post a Comment